Fishing Stage
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-fishing talk)
Cog railway,Mt Washington NH, 34 degrees, 60 MPH wind
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
Aug 26, 2023 16:38:50   #
Mauwehu Loc: Norwalk Ct
 
My wife and I took a few days off in New Hampshire and while we were there took the cog railway to the top of the mountain. Mount Washington is the tallest peak in The Northeast. On a clear day you can see several states. There is also an auto road that I drove once and told myself I’d never do again. No guardrails and a new set of brakes when you’re back down.
It was super clear the day we went but at 34 degrees and 60 mph winds we didn’t venture out of the summit building for too long.
I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story

















Reply
Aug 26, 2023 16:47:17   #
And Marvin Loc: Lawrence, Ks
 
Did that. Beautiful going up most of the way. At the summit house you could not see the train from it. On the way down beautiful again.

Reply
Aug 26, 2023 16:52:16   #
Mauwehu Loc: Norwalk Ct
 
And Marvin wrote:
Did that. Beautiful going up most of the way. At the summit house you could not see the train from it. On the way down beautiful again.


My wife chose the day wisely. It’s foggy a lot. Four weather systems collide there.
I’ve been to Dodge City. Quite a difference in terrain!

Reply
 
 
Aug 26, 2023 16:55:52   #
And Marvin Loc: Lawrence, Ks
 
We were on a tour and that was the day. Day before and day after were clear.

Reply
Aug 26, 2023 17:19:22   #
plumbob Loc: New Windsor Maryland
 
Mauwehu wrote:
My wife and I took a few days off in New Hampshire and while we were there took the cog railway to the top of the mountain. Mount Washington is the tallest peak in The Northeast. On a clear day you can see several states. There is also an auto road that I drove once and told myself I’d never do again. No guardrails and a new set of brakes when you’re back down.
It was super clear the day we went but at 34 degrees and 60 mph winds we didn’t venture out of the summit building for too long.
I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story
My wife and I took a few days off in New Hampshire... (show quote)


Thanks for the pics Mau. I've never been there nor knew about the tallest peak in the Northeast. Just another reason to like this site. " The Sharing "

Reply
Aug 26, 2023 17:26:27   #
Mauwehu Loc: Norwalk Ct
 
plumbob wrote:
Thanks for the pics Mau. I've never been there nor knew about the tallest peak in the Northeast. Just another reason to like this site. " The Sharing "


That’s why I posted it. I know there are men that will never get there or might want to if they saw the pics. I love seeing pictures of different places in the US.

Reply
Aug 26, 2023 17:46:06   #
CamT Loc: La Porte, Texas
 
Mauwehu wrote:
That’s why I posted it. I know there are men that will never get there or might want to if they saw the pics. I love seeing pictures of different places in the US.


Thanks for sharing, my wife and I were in New Hampshire on a road trip but didn't go there. She would have loved it. It is really beautiful
Mark

Reply
 
 
Aug 26, 2023 17:49:46   #
JDFishes Loc: Atlantic County
 
Been there a couple times as a kid. Seems like it’s always blowing there. Mount Washington's famous wind gust of 231 mph, recorded on April 12, 1934 at the Mount Washington Observatory, stands as the record for the fastest surface wind measured in the Northern and Western Hemispheres. I think the observatory is new but I still remember being there. Thanks for pics!

Reply
Aug 26, 2023 17:55:40   #
Mauwehu Loc: Norwalk Ct
 
CamT wrote:
Thanks for sharing, my wife and I were in New Hampshire on a road trip but didn't go there. She would have loved it. It is really beautiful
Mark


We love New Hampshire.
State motto—-Live free or die.
And no sales tax.

Reply
Aug 26, 2023 17:56:13   #
ghaynes1 Loc: Strawberry Plains, TN
 
Mauwehu wrote:
That’s why I posted it. I know there are men that will never get there or might want to if they saw the pics. I love seeing pictures of different places in the US.


Must be some great views.

Reply
Aug 26, 2023 17:57:03   #
Mauwehu Loc: Norwalk Ct
 
JDFishes wrote:
Been there a couple times as a kid. Seems like it’s always blowing there. Mount Washington's famous wind gust of 231 mph, recorded on April 12, 1934 at the Mount Washington Observatory, stands as the record for the fastest surface wind measured in the Northern and Western Hemispheres. I think the observatory is new but I still remember being there. Thanks for pics!


It sure is different above the tree line. At the bottom of the mountain it was 85 degrees

Reply
 
 
Aug 26, 2023 17:59:15   #
Mauwehu Loc: Norwalk Ct
 
ghaynes1 wrote:
Must be some great views.


There are. It all starts to look a little surreal.

Reply
Aug 26, 2023 18:00:13   #
Dakoda Loc: Cle Elum, WA
 
Awesome views

Reply
Aug 26, 2023 18:06:13   #
Mauwehu Loc: Norwalk Ct
 
Dakoda wrote:
Awesome views


Less than half the height of your mountains but I guess there’s something to be said for being amble to ride up it.

Reply
Aug 26, 2023 18:16:58   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
Mauwehu wrote:
My wife and I took a few days off in New Hampshire and while we were there took the cog railway to the top of the mountain. Mount Washington is the tallest peak in The Northeast. On a clear day you can see several states. There is also an auto road that I drove once and told myself I’d never do again. No guardrails and a new set of brakes when you’re back down.
It was super clear the day we went but at 34 degrees and 60 mph winds we didn’t venture out of the summit building for too long.
I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story
My wife and I took a few days off in New Hampshire... (show quote)


Beautiful pictures Mark. In all these years I've never been up there. New Hampshire is a gorgeous state and probably the freest one left. Thanks for sharing buddy.

Reply
Page 1 of 3 next> last>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-fishing talk)
FishingStage.com
Copyright 2018-2024 IDF International Technologies, Inc.