Fishing Stage - Fishing Forum
Fishin' in Florida !
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
Nov 7, 2019 14:41:06   #
Big A Loc: Mesa, Arizona
 
Some years back when my youmgest brother was in his late-20s/early-30s, he and a few of his friends went to visit another of their group who had recently moved to the Hollywood/Hallan-dale area ! One afternoon upon returning from a round of golf, they realized they needed to make a beer run so they all hopped into his car except one; he wanted to try his luck fishing for bass or catfish ! On their way back, they spotted him knee-deep on a local pond or canal and stopped to talk to him; conversation went something like this - "Hey, Reuben, what do you think you're doing out there?" - "What's it look like? I'm
fishin' !" - "Rueben, think for a minute ! This isn't N.H.; that water's full of 'gators and cottonmouths !" He jumped out of there so quick that everyone in the car swore that he ran across that water ! He's a nice kid, but definitely NOT the brightest bulb on the tree !

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 14:43:30   #
EasternOZ Loc: Kansas
 
Olympic star right there..

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 15:07:10   #
Big A Loc: Mesa, Arizona
 
Another Florida incident ! When my folks moved to Florida, my dad's sister and her husband had a camping trailer in the park across the road from my parents' mobile park ! My uncle, who has been a life-long sportsman, had two boats; an 18-footer/big motor for big water and a 12-ft. Jonboat
for small lakes, ponds and canals !
One day he was out bassin' in the jonboat and luck was more of a bitch than a lady; spots a log and casts his lure over to it and it bounces off the near end ! Right then, the 'log' opened its eyes; realizing his mistake, he told us he made the fastest retrieve of his life, started that motor and high-tailed it to the other side of the pond ! "Wasn't takin' no chances; that gator was bigger than my boat !" (Apparently, there's a rule of thumb for guess-timating a gator's size; the space between the eyes (in inches) roughly equals the gator's length (in feet) ! Not carved in stone, but pretty close !

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 15:08:49   #
flyguy Loc: S.E. MN.
 
You should always watch out for the other guy.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 15:11:15   #
flyguy Loc: S.E. MN.
 
Big A wrote:
Some years back when my youmgest brother was in his late-20s/early-30s, he and a few of his friends went to visit another of their group who had recently moved to the Hollywood/Hallan-dale area ! One afternoon upon returning from a round of golf, they realized they needed to make a beer run so they all hopped into his car except one; he wanted to try his luck fishing for bass or catfish ! On their way back, they spotted him knee-deep on a local pond or canal and stopped to talk to him; conversation went something like this - "Hey, Reuben, what do you think you're doing out there?" - "What's it look like? I'm
fishin' !" - "Rueben, think for a minute ! This isn't N.H.; that water's full of 'gators and cottonmouths !" He jumped out of there so quick that everyone in the car swore that he ran across that water ! He's a nice kid, but definitely NOT the brightest bulb on the tree !
Some years back when my youmgest brother was in hi... (show quote)


You should always watch out for the other guy.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 15:19:48   #
plumbob Loc: Belhaven NC
 
After hurricane Dorian paid us a visit, the wife and I are out side cleaning up the yard picking up debris and a good share of sticks. So I mention to be careful and look for snakes especially by the waters edge. And if that stick moves, good chance its not a stick.

With that i lost my help and I now have to pick up all the sticks.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 15:21:52   #
EasternOZ Loc: Kansas
 
plumbob wrote:
After hurricane Dorian paid us a visit, the wife and I are out side cleaning up the yard picking up debris and a good share of sticks. So I mention to be careful and look for snakes especially by the waters edge. And if that stick moves, good chance its not a stick.

With that i lost my help and I now have to pick up all the sticks.


Better than sucking the venom out.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 15:39:01   #
badbobby
 
Big A wrote:
Another Florida incident ! When my folks moved to Florida, my dad's sister and her husband had a camping trailer in the park across the road from my parents' mobile park ! My uncle, who has been a life-long sportsman, had two boats; an 18-footer/big motor for big water and a 12-ft. Jonboat
for small lakes, ponds and canals !
One day he was out bassin' in the jonboat and luck was more of a bitch than a lady; spots a log and casts his lure over to it and it bounces off the near end ! Right then, the 'log' opened its eyes; realizing his mistake, he told us he made the fastest retrieve of his life, started that motor and high-tailed it to the other side of the pond ! "Wasn't takin' no chances; that gator was bigger than my boat !" (Apparently, there's a rule of thumb for guess-timating a gator's size; the space between the eyes (in inches) roughly equals the gator's length (in feet) ! Not carved in stone, but pretty close !
Another Florida incident ! When my folks moved to ... (show quote)


come down to Sheldon reservoir (just outside of Houston)A
This little reservoir has over a hundred local gators
anywhere from 3 feet to 12
There is no record of any one being injured by these gators
they seem to operate under the assumption that if you leave them alone,they will leave you alone
but a lotta guys are feeding them
and that can possibly lead to bad things
Most of the bigger gators will just move off if you approach them,but some will stay close,evidently lookin for a hand out
there's a standing joke with me and my partner
"If by any chance we both fell in,who would be the fastest to get back in the boat"



| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 15:40:12   #
plumbob Loc: Belhaven NC
 
I don't know if that really works. And I don't want to learn the hard way either.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 15:43:41   #
EasternOZ Loc: Kansas
 
plumbob wrote:
I don't know if that really works. And I don't want to learn the hard way either.


Amen.

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 15:48:35   #
plumbob Loc: Belhaven NC
 
BB, you mention they are just looking for a ( hand out ). Little play on words there my friend?

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 16:18:09   #
badbobby
 
plumbob wrote:
BB, you mention they are just looking for a ( hand out ). Little play on words there my friend?


possibly

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 16:24:13   #
Big A Loc: Mesa, Arizona
 
Well, unfortunately they're a force to contend with in many southern states from the Carolinas to
Texas ! A close friend moved to Texas a few years back to be with his daughter and her family after losing his wife of 30 years ! He mentioned wanting to try for alligator gar in a lake called Choke
Canyon Reservoir, so naturally, I did a little research ; turns out some young feller shot ans killed a 14-foot 'gator not far from the boat launch ! Told my buddy to be real careful if he fishes there; he's only got a 12-ft. V-hull, and they're as big as, and bigger than his
boat ! Also, as this photo from South Carolina shows, they're not shy about visiting neighbors ! If your doorbell rings or you hear scratching at the door, look out your window or peep-hole; that ain't the Avon lady !



| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 16:29:09   #
badbobby
 
Big A wrote:
Well, unfortunately they're a force to contend with in many southern states from the Carolinas to
Texas ! A close friend moved to Texas a few years back to be with his daughter and her family after losing his wife of 30 years ! He mentioned wanting to try for alligator gar in a lake called Choke
Canyon Reservoir, so naturally, I did a little research ; turns out some young feller shot ans killed a 14-foot 'gator not far from the boat launch ! Told my buddy to be real careful if he fishes there; he's only got a 12-ft. V-hull, and they're as big as, and bigger than his
boat ! Also, as this photo from South Carolina shows, they're not shy about visiting neighbors ! If your doorbell rings or you hear scratching at the door, look out your window or peep-hole; that ain't the Avon lady !
Well, unfortunately they're a force to contend wit... (show quote)


that ol gator was prolly just selling candy

| Reply
Nov 7, 2019 16:34:02   #
EasternOZ Loc: Kansas
 
badbobby wrote:
that ol gator was prolly just selling candy


Vacuums

| Reply
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2019 IDF International Technologies, Inc.