Fishing Stage - Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
General Chit-Chat (non-fishing talk)
Anyone have Hearing Aids that Work?
Page 1 of 2 next>
Nov 23, 2022 14:23:48   #
Robert J Samples Loc: Round Rock, Texas
 
By now you have probably discovered that I am a very optioned person and not easily sold on something when I have had a lot of bad experiences. You probably would not be surprised that I have been called stubborn, opinionated, hardheaded, mean, stubborn, ornery, and all similar adjectives!
Yes, to all that. In addition, I am not going to spend $700, $800, or $1,000 for the privilege of wearing a gimmick in my ears that may or may not work well! Or, for that matter even if they do!
Yes, I would like to hear clearly what our preacher has to say each Sunday. Yes, my wife gets very frustrated at me by having to repeat louder everything she has to say to me. I have gotten somewhat more adept at reading lips, but not yet good enough to replace hearing.
But at this stage of my life, I am somewhat set in my ways, as you might guess. There is a saying about “fooling some of the people some of the time, but you can never fool all the people all the time!” Well, I am at the point I am not trying to fool anyone at any time.
Pardon me, but I have come to the belief that most hearing aid companies are doing a flim-flam act and their products are never what they claim, not worth a 1/10 of what they are charging. You see, I have been on the other side of this equation and knows what goes on in the way of packaging a product, and pricing it. The S.O.B.’s don’t give a hoot about anything except making as much profit as they can squeeze out of an unsuspecting public!
In my humble opinion the Food and Drug Commission could take a more active role in protecting the public, but since they probably have a hand and glove relationship, that will never happen.
Now that I have spews forth a lot of negative venom, if you would be so kind and have something to post, I will take it under advisement. Just because I may be mean to others, I appreciate and value your contributions. Just Sayin…RJS

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 14:28:42   #
charlykilo Loc: Garden Valley Ca
 
Mine from the V A work great. The V A does take care of me very well.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 14:50:31   #
flyguy Loc: Caledonia, MN. (S.E. MN.)
 
Robert J Samples wrote:
By now you have probably discovered that I am a very optioned person and not easily sold on something when I have had a lot of bad experiences. You probably would not be surprised that I have been called stubborn, opinionated, hardheaded, mean, stubborn, ornery, and all similar adjectives!
Yes, to all that. In addition, I am not going to spend $700, $800, or $1,000 for the privilege of wearing a gimmick in my ears that may or may not work well! Or, for that matter even if they do!
Yes, I would like to hear clearly what our preacher has to say each Sunday. Yes, my wife gets very frustrated at me by having to repeat louder everything she has to say to me. I have gotten somewhat more adept at reading lips, but not yet good enough to replace hearing.
But at this stage of my life, I am somewhat set in my ways, as you might guess. There is a saying about “fooling some of the people some of the time, but you can never fool all the people all the time!” Well, I am at the point I am not trying to fool anyone at any time.
Pardon me, but I have come to the belief that most hearing aid companies are doing a flim-flam act and their products are never what they claim, not worth a 1/10 of what they are charging. You see, I have been on the other side of this equation and knows what goes on in the way of packaging a product, and pricing it. The S.O.B.’s don’t give a hoot about anything except making as much profit as they can squeeze out of an unsuspecting public!
In my humble opinion the Food and Drug Commission could take a more active role in protecting the public, but since they probably have a hand and glove relationship, that will never happen.
Now that I have spews forth a lot of negative venom, if you would be so kind and have something to post, I will take it under advisement. Just because I may be mean to others, I appreciate and value your contributions. Just Sayin…RJS
By now you have probably discovered that I am a ve... (show quote)


Ya, Robert, mine works well. This is my second set, my first ones lasted 12 years, which is unheard of, the normal life span is 5 years. They were Phonix and I got them through the Mayo Clinic, which cost $4200.00 back then. No insurance coverage. My new ones are through TruHearing and cost $1600.00 with insurance. Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The new ones have a lot more bells & whistles on them and I can control them through my phone. I wear the during the daytime, because Marion gives me he!! if I don't.

Reply
 
 
Nov 23, 2022 15:11:11   #
Monday Loc: Olympia WA
 
If you want something that does more than just increase volume, you’re gonna pay for it. Mine costs an average of $1,000 a year for the privilege of retaining a small amount of hearing loss I caused by my own stupidity and lack of knowledge.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 15:47:33   #
EZ Fishing Loc: College Ward, Utah
 
Robert J Samples wrote:
By now you have probably discovered that I am a very optioned person and not easily sold on something when I have had a lot of bad experiences. You probably would not be surprised that I have been called stubborn, opinionated, hardheaded, mean, stubborn, ornery, and all similar adjectives!
Yes, to all that. In addition, I am not going to spend $700, $800, or $1,000 for the privilege of wearing a gimmick in my ears that may or may not work well! Or, for that matter even if they do!
Yes, I would like to hear clearly what our preacher has to say each Sunday. Yes, my wife gets very frustrated at me by having to repeat louder everything she has to say to me. I have gotten somewhat more adept at reading lips, but not yet good enough to replace hearing.
But at this stage of my life, I am somewhat set in my ways, as you might guess. There is a saying about “fooling some of the people some of the time, but you can never fool all the people all the time!” Well, I am at the point I am not trying to fool anyone at any time.
Pardon me, but I have come to the belief that most hearing aid companies are doing a flim-flam act and their products are never what they claim, not worth a 1/10 of what they are charging. You see, I have been on the other side of this equation and knows what goes on in the way of packaging a product, and pricing it. The S.O.B.’s don’t give a hoot about anything except making as much profit as they can squeeze out of an unsuspecting public!
In my humble opinion the Food and Drug Commission could take a more active role in protecting the public, but since they probably have a hand and glove relationship, that will never happen.
Now that I have spews forth a lot of negative venom, if you would be so kind and have something to post, I will take it under advisement. Just because I may be mean to others, I appreciate and value your contributions. Just Sayin…RJS
By now you have probably discovered that I am a ve... (show quote)


I can't give you any advice about hearing aids. I also need them but can't afford the 5 or 6 thousand dollars for them. Medicare won't pay anything on them and secondary insurance won't pay either. Hope you can find what works for you.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 16:14:51   #
florida Loc: Southwest Florida/ Virginia
 
You have a very good opinion of corporate life. I have had aids for about 10 years. At first, they did well but I think as my hearing deteriorated so as my hearing aids. They were Beltone and were expensive $7,500. but Beltone has done well with give free hearing tests and adjustments to my aids. They replaced them free when my dog thought they were a chew bone. I do not wear them every day, ask my wife she is not happy without me wearing them. them I would get a lot of info about aids before deciding on them. Good Luck

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 16:39:48   #
DC Loc: Washington state
 
I kind of agree with you. I have a pair from Costco which costs about $1800. they help some but due to ear wax after a couple hrs they get clogged, I find them uncomfortable to ware all the time and in noisy environments even with the background noise filter on they do little good. the other thing is not all hearing loss is recoverable. all that being said if they were not so expensive I might try another pair but not willing to spend that kind of money on something that may not do all that much good. I think I'd rather spend it on a 12" screen fish finder so I could see it better with my old eyes that glasses don't help much either. ha

Reply
 
 
Nov 23, 2022 16:42:12   #
DC Loc: Washington state
 
Monday wrote:
If you want something that does more than just increase volume, you’re gonna pay for it. Mine costs an average of $1,000 a year for the privilege of retaining a small amount of hearing loss I caused by my own stupidity and lack of knowledge.


did you notice back in the day only whimps wore ear protection on the job now only those wimps can hear

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 16:46:40   #
Kerry Hansen Loc: Bremerton, WA
 
Robert J Samples wrote:
By now you have probably discovered that I am a very optioned person and not easily sold on something when I have had a lot of bad experiences. You probably would not be surprised that I have been called stubborn, opinionated, hardheaded, mean, stubborn, ornery, and all similar adjectives!
Yes, to all that. In addition, I am not going to spend $700, $800, or $1,000 for the privilege of wearing a gimmick in my ears that may or may not work well! Or, for that matter even if they do!
Yes, I would like to hear clearly what our preacher has to say each Sunday. Yes, my wife gets very frustrated at me by having to repeat louder everything she has to say to me. I have gotten somewhat more adept at reading lips, but not yet good enough to replace hearing.
But at this stage of my life, I am somewhat set in my ways, as you might guess. There is a saying about “fooling some of the people some of the time, but you can never fool all the people all the time!” Well, I am at the point I am not trying to fool anyone at any time.
Pardon me, but I have come to the belief that most hearing aid companies are doing a flim-flam act and their products are never what they claim, not worth a 1/10 of what they are charging. You see, I have been on the other side of this equation and knows what goes on in the way of packaging a product, and pricing it. The S.O.B.’s don’t give a hoot about anything except making as much profit as they can squeeze out of an unsuspecting public!
In my humble opinion the Food and Drug Commission could take a more active role in protecting the public, but since they probably have a hand and glove relationship, that will never happen.
Now that I have spews forth a lot of negative venom, if you would be so kind and have something to post, I will take it under advisement. Just because I may be mean to others, I appreciate and value your contributions. Just Sayin…RJS
By now you have probably discovered that I am a ve... (show quote)


Mine are old technology now and didn't have all the bells and whistles when I bought them at least 8 years ago and cost me in excess of $1200 a piece. One thing I can do with mine is hear the TV. My wife has too good hearing, LOL, so what is right vol for her I can't hear so when I switch mine to a particular mode, I can even mute the TV while she is talking on the phone and still HEAR the TV! I was in line at Costco many many years ago and the woman in front of me was seem-idly talking to herself. Watching her and talking to her I learned that she was talking thru her Cell Phone and hearing aids all hands free. She said they were quite expensive, a couple 1000 a piece, but since she was a spouse of someone in the military it was taken care of. Back in the mid 1990's I got my first pair. Being an Outdoors man, I loved to listen to nature, but sadly because of a lot of ear infections as a small kid, my ears were Prematurely aged. So when I got that first pair I could once again hear Robins chirp and the old Maple leafs falling in the fall when it hit limbs and other dry leafs. I gave up years ago trying to convince someone that my way was the best way. Was partially successful when raising my 4 kids. Another thing you need to know, it makes a big difference who you buy them from. Just how will they support you once they have sold them to you. I got mine from a small Mom and Pop place and when ever I have an issue, they fix it no charge. When I drive, I like to have the radio on, don't converse much giving total attention to the road and since about 1954 have , Knock On Wood, ZERO tickets. anyway my wife once asked why I had to have the radio so loud, you have hearing aids, why don't you turn them up. I said it would amplify the road noise too so doesn't help much.We have to thank NASA and the space race for the miniaturization of electronics that once was as big as a floor console radio to some thing small enough to fit in your ear or now with increased hearing loss sit behind my ear. Speaking about WAX, mine have little "Wax Guard" inserts at the speaker outlet that are easily changeable and I get several small packs of "Wax Guards" free when ever I need them. Bob, I hope you can find what you need.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 17:29:06   #
Gordon Loc: Charleston South Carolina
 
flyguy wrote:
Ya, Robert, mine works well. This is my second set, my first ones lasted 12 years, which is unheard of, the normal life span is 5 years. They were Phonix and I got them through the Mayo Clinic, which cost $4200.00 back then. No insurance coverage. My new ones are through TruHearing and cost $1600.00 with insurance. Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The new ones have a lot more bells & whistles on them and I can control them through my phone. I wear the during the daytime, because Marion gives me he!! if I don't.
Ya, Robert, mine works well. This is my second se... (show quote)


Robert, Fly and I Talked about the Tru Hearing ones before he got his. I have had mine for over a year and they are awesome. You can control them with your phone with many different functions.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 19:22:07   #
Robert J Samples Loc: Round Rock, Texas
 
Gordon wrote:
Robert, Fly and I Talked about the Tru Hearing ones before he got his. I have had mine for over a year and they are awesome. You can control them with your phone with many different functions.


Gordon, you did not mention price. I am not paying a grand or more per ear. Just Sayin...
RJS

Reply
 
 
Nov 23, 2022 19:47:26   #
Robert J Samples Loc: Round Rock, Texas
 
florida wrote:
You have a very good opinion of corporate life. I have had aids for about 10 years. At first, they did well but I think as my hearing deteriorated so as my hearing aids. They were Beltone and were expensive $7,500. but Beltone has done well with give free hearing tests and adjustments to my aids. They replaced them free when my dog thought they were a chew bone. I do not wear them every day, ask my wife she is not happy without me wearing them. them I would get a lot of info about aids before deciding on them. Good Luck
You have a very good opinion of corporate life. I ... (show quote)

Well, I too have had an abusive life on my ears.

One time a friend fired his rifle, not more than a foot or so from my face and right ear. I then had ringing for days.

Sometime later, I was on a C-47 flying from Arlington TX to New York and when we landed, I had both ear drums burst. In fact, it cost me more in doctor bills to get my hearing back than the trip cost. Just Sayin....RJS

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 20:08:01   #
charlykilo Loc: Garden Valley Ca
 
C-47 You were military?

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 22:02:05   #
Gordon Loc: Charleston South Carolina
 
Robert J Samples wrote:
Gordon, you did not mention price. I am not paying a grand or more per ear. Just Sayin...
RJS


They were more then you want to spend on them Robert. $2200.00 for both.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 22:25:53   #
dbed Loc: Brock, Nebraska southeast Ne.
 
I can't comment on hearing aid companies because I get mine through the VA too. They work great. VA replaces them every 4 years I have a remote that controls them. If I had a smart phone I could link them to the phone

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
General Chit-Chat (non-fishing talk)
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2022 IDF International Technologies, Inc.