Fishing Stage - Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main
Truckee river
California Fishing
Page 1 of 2 next>
Nov 21, 2022 16:01:01   #
Elder Loc: Los Osos, California
 
Going to visit family in Tahoe. Any fall season advice on flies to use?

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 18:27:28   #
Pathagoras345 Loc: Ca.
 
Well, I’ve fished the Truckee a few times … there’s some big brown trout in the river … as far as flies go… I would be inclined to use a fat muddler minnow or even a clouser minnow W/ 1/0 hook and 9/10 leader… you can either 2 hand Spey, single hand Spey or however you want to present your flies … good luck 🤞

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 19:57:04   #
saw1 Loc: nor cal Windsor
 
Elder wrote:
Going to visit family in Tahoe. Any fall season advice on flies to use?


Is the river open to fishin this time of year?
Other streams/rivers in the Tahoe area aren't.

Reply
 
 
Nov 21, 2022 21:00:26   #
Elder Loc: Los Osos, California
 
Yes it is open to fishing. I did a Google search and the last report was on the 18 of November from the Trout Creek outfitters. We may fish lake Pyramid too. I caught a tanker there last year fishing for my first time. It was cold and windy, perfect conditions as it drives the fish closer to shore.

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 21:11:42   #
Elder Loc: Los Osos, California
 
First time fishing Lake Pyramid. This fish was gently retrieved and kept in the water until my son took the picture. Barbless hook, but I can’t recall the pattern. Fishing 6 weight sinking line with a strike indicator. You have to be gentle with the big ones as you can cause nerve damage and they will not be able to swallow. This fish swam away with vigor.



Reply
Nov 21, 2022 21:13:35   #
Jeremy Loc: Oregon sometimes
 
WOW..Nice one. Good job on the revive and release.

Reply
Nov 21, 2022 21:27:39   #
Jeremy Loc: Oregon sometimes
 
It appears an Outlaw bug is not needed. Good Luck let us know how you do please. Warm gear and the right bug or pattern is always the key.

Reply
 
 
Nov 21, 2022 21:32:18   #
Elder Loc: Los Osos, California
 
Hi Jeremy, what’s an outlaw bug?

Reply
Nov 22, 2022 02:58:37   #
saw1 Loc: nor cal Windsor
 
Elder wrote:
Yes it is open to fishing. I did a Google search and the last report was on the 18 of November from the Trout Creek outfitters. We may fish lake Pyramid too. I caught a tanker there last year fishing for my first time. It was cold and windy, perfect conditions as it drives the fish closer to shore.


I just checked and it says that river/stream trout season closes Nov 15th.
I think you need to REALLY make SURE it's open before you make a special trip there.
General trout season closes on Nov 15th. However, some private waters are open but for the most part most public waters are closed until the last Saturday in April.
I'm talkin bout the streams and rivers in the mountains. NOT lakes.

Reply
Nov 22, 2022 08:17:12   #
Elder Loc: Los Osos, California
 
Ok, good to know. Thanks! I guess we’ll hit Boca or Prosser reservoir.

Reply
Nov 22, 2022 12:57:28   #
saw1 Loc: nor cal Windsor
 
Elder wrote:
Ok, good to know. Thanks! I guess we’ll hit Boca or Prosser reservoir.


Good luck. Are they frozen over yet? I've ice fished Boca before. And regular fished there as well. Some nice fish in there.

Reply
 
 
Nov 22, 2022 15:57:47   #
Proline 22 Loc: Sacramento ca
 
Awesome fish, good job

Reply
Nov 22, 2022 16:30:03   #
craig42 Loc: Petaluma, ca
 
saw1 wrote:
I just checked and it says that river/stream trout season closes Nov 15th.
I think you need to REALLY make SURE it's open before you make a special trip there.
General trout season closes on Nov 15th. However, some private waters are open but for the most part most public waters are closed until the last Saturday in April.
I'm talkin bout the streams and rivers in the mountains. NOT lakes.


I fished the Truckee and Little Truckee Thanksgiving week last year. Saw many anglers and seemed to be open . But I never really checked the rule book, just recommendations from locals ?

Reply
Nov 22, 2022 17:15:06   #
saw1 Loc: nor cal Windsor
 
craig42 wrote:
I fished the Truckee and Little Truckee Thanksgiving week last year. Saw many anglers and seemed to be open . But I never really checked the rule book, just recommendations from locals ?


Hey, I'm not sayin that's it's positively closed. I'm just sayin that NORMALLY, stream/river trout season in the mountains around Tahoe closes Nov 15.
Just be sure and check to make sure it's really open before fishin, that all. Good luck, hope it is. Post pics of your fish.

Reply
Nov 23, 2022 20:53:08   #
ranger632 Loc: Calif
 
saw1 wrote:
Hey, I'm not sayin that's it's positively closed. I'm just sayin that NORMALLY, stream/river trout season in the mountains around Tahoe closes Nov 15.
Just be sure and check to make sure it's really open before fishin, that all. Good luck, hope it is. Post pics of your fish.


They change a lot of regs this year. Main season closes Nov. 15 but then you can fish after but a lot of different rules, barbless hooks, two fish limit, release all fish too hard for me to mess with. And each river is different , I ask a warden why all the changes and he said the brass wanted to make it easier to fish as he roll his eyes. Go figure.

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2022 IDF International Technologies, Inc.