Fishing Stage - Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Location-Specific Discussions and Fishing Report Requests
GA Fly Fishing
Oct 9, 2021 14:40:29   #
JProper Loc: Central MI
 
Hey all! I’m new to Georgia, just got stationed at Ft. Benning. Coming from Michigan, fly fishing is a huge part of my life, and I plan to continue fishing now that I’m down here.
I’m just looking for some rivers to try out in SW GA. I’m not picky about species, my favorites from back home are trout, Smallmouth, and Pike, so I’ve got the equipment for most anything that I can think of. I know I’ll have to travel quite far to fish for trout, but are there any streams down here worth fishing? (Columbus/Atlanta area)

I’ve also looked into the Chattahoochee, but I’ve been told it’s too dangerous to wade in the Ft. Benning area.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks,

-JP

Reply
Oct 9, 2021 15:16:33   #
Sinker Rig Loc: Tampa area
 
Flint river is the only place I know of

Reply
Oct 9, 2021 15:39:12   #
JProper Loc: Central MI
 
I’ve heard rumors off good shoal bass fishing in there. Figured I’d go throw some streamers around there in the next few weeks. Thank you!

Reply
 
 
Oct 9, 2021 15:40:10   #
JProper Loc: Central MI
 
Sinker Rig wrote:
Flint river is the only place I know of


I’ve heard rumors of good shoal bass fishing there. Figured I’d go throw some streamers around in the next few weeks. Thank you!

Reply
Oct 9, 2021 15:43:10   #
Sinker Rig Loc: Tampa area
 
JProper wrote:
I’ve heard rumors of good shoal bass fishing there. Figured I’d go throw some streamers around in the next few weeks. Thank you!


This is the time to do it....with the weather changing

Reply
Oct 9, 2021 18:25:37   #
Blackdog Loc: Round Rock, TX
 
Hello JP,

Welcome Aboard! BlackDog here.....

Head out to Buford Dam and work the "hooch" south. Plenty of room to fly fish. Plenty of Stocked Trout.
Also head out to Dahlonega and take Ultra light gear. Plenty of native and stocked Trout all through those mountain Streams.

This is a beautiful time of year for North Georgia. Don't forget to try the Apple Cider and/or Shine.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

BD

Reply
Oct 10, 2021 13:54:17   #
LKPKGA
 
Welcome, trout and smallmouth will be in north Georgia. The chattahoochee river has migrating stripper south of Columbus and flyfishing for bluegills is real popular in middle and South Georgia. Good luck.

Reply
 
 
Oct 10, 2021 23:09:04   #
Cyclops313 Loc: Alabama
 
JProper wrote:
Hey all! I’m new to Georgia, just got stationed at Ft. Benning. Coming from Michigan, fly fishing is a huge part of my life, and I plan to continue fishing now that I’m down here.
I’m just looking for some rivers to try out in SW GA. I’m not picky about species, my favorites from back home are trout, Smallmouth, and Pike, so I’ve got the equipment for most anything that I can think of. I know I’ll have to travel quite far to fish for trout, but are there any streams down here worth fishing? (Columbus/Atlanta area)

I’ve also looked into the Chattahoochee, but I’ve been told it’s too dangerous to wade in the Ft. Benning area.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks,

-JP
Hey all! I’m new to Georgia, just got stationed at... (show quote)


First, let me assure you that wadding the Hooch in the Benning area is indeed dangerous as hell. There have been countless drownings over the years.
While I am not intimately familiar with Fort Benning I understand there are several lakes /ponds on the base that offer good bass & bluegill fishing.
The nearest place I am aware of for trout would be the Chatahoochee Between the Lake Lanier dam and just North of Atlanta. Just to the south is Lake Walter F. George (Lake Eufaula in Al). Just to the north is Lake Harding.

Thanks for your service!

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 10:41:34   #
Ozzie Loc: Central Florida
 
I will be in. Blue Ridge next week....hope to hit the river for some good trout....and am optimistic I might have a photo or 2 to brag about.....many great streams in N. GA.....and a lake or 2....

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 16:27:02   #
JProper Loc: Central MI
 
Cyclops313 wrote:
First, let me assure you that wadding the Hooch in the Benning area is indeed dangerous as hell. There have been countless drownings over the years.
While I am not intimately familiar with Fort Benning I understand there are several lakes /ponds on the base that offer good bass & bluegill fishing.
The nearest place I am aware of for trout would be the Chatahoochee Between the Lake Lanier dam and just North of Atlanta. Just to the south is Lake Walter F. George (Lake Eufaula in Al). Just to the north is Lake Harding.

Thanks for your service!
First, let me assure you that wadding the Hooch in... (show quote)


Thank you! I’ve been fishing the ponds on base, unfortunately without much success, but that’s expected. I’ll give that stretch off the hooch a try!

Reply
Oct 11, 2021 16:27:46   #
JProper Loc: Central MI
 
Ozzie wrote:
I will be in. Blue Ridge next week....hope to hit the river for some good trout....and am optimistic I might have a photo or 2 to brag about.....many great streams in N. GA.....and a lake or 2....


I’ve been looking into a trip up there here soon, pics would be greatly appreciated, good luck!

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Location-Specific Discussions and Fishing Report Requests
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.