Fishing Stage - Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main
Pond fishing for bass
Page 1 of 2 next>
Sep 13, 2021 20:42:08   #
Andyconnor Loc: Ohio
 
Fly fishing flies? For bass

Reply
Sep 13, 2021 20:51:33   #
Robert J Samples Loc: Round Rock, Texas
 
AndyConner: Why not, if you have the gear! There are no rules about what to use, that is up to you. The only rule I play by is "having a good time!" Just Sayin...RJS

Reply
Sep 13, 2021 20:52:59   #
Andyconnor Loc: Ohio
 
Need a few ideas on fly’s

Reply
 
 
Sep 13, 2021 20:56:40   #
Sinker Rig Loc: Tampa area
 
Andyconnor wrote:
Need a few ideas on fly’s


On a farm pond I'd use a dang Bluegill popper along the shoreline at sundown

Reply
Sep 13, 2021 21:01:53   #
nutz4fish Loc: Colchester, CT
 
Andyconnor wrote:
Fly fishing flies? For bass



Looking for recommendations? Steamers that look like minnows, poppers to suggest small frogs. Wet flies imitating hellgrammites or crawfish . . . .thats where I would start. No longer fly fish, balance issues as I have "matured". Good Luck, please let us know how you succeed or fail with what you use. Sharing is what we are all sbout.
Also, Welcome to the Stage... Nice to have you. I think you will find this place helpful, I'll boast and say there's a log of nice guys and gals here. **<nutz4fish>**

Reply
Sep 13, 2021 21:05:55   #
Andyconnor Loc: Ohio
 
I keep trying poppers , all different sizes
Catch a ton of blue gills but no bass

Reply
Sep 13, 2021 21:13:50   #
nutz4fish Loc: Colchester, CT
 
Andyconnor wrote:
I keep trying poppers , all different sizes
Catch a ton of blue gills but no bass



If ya KNOW there are resident bass there, go really,really big. Also, if getting too many bluegills you may be fishing over water that's a bit shallow. Truly big bass feed on bluegills, so don't give up. They may be very close by, look for ambush spots.

Reply
 
 
Sep 13, 2021 21:14:53   #
Flytier Loc: Wilmington Delaware
 
You could try muddler minnows or stimulator patterns . I've caught large mouth on size 12 Adam's dry flies. There are tons if streamer flies. Matukas should work well for bass.

Reply
Sep 13, 2021 21:51:56   #
fishyaker Loc: NW Michigan (Lower Peninsula)
 
Lot's of good suggestions thus far regarding choices...especially if you want to trigger them underwater. If the pond is small enough, and your casting can reach plenty of water, then I might suggest continuing to try "surface" flies. If you can get out in a canoe or kayak...all the better.

As suggested...froggy looking things are dynamite. The attached photo is from my
"top picks" that I keep on hand. I throw these with an 8 weight floating line on an old Fenwick fiberglass rod from the 60's...a real blast!

Dope them up with floatant, and you should be able to catch at least a half dozen before needing to switch to a new dry version and set the mushed up one aside to dry for a future use.

Good luck!

PS. I've actually caught some mammoth sized bluegills on these flies in a farm pond styled setting too!
top 2 are same fly but different size and view perspective....
top 2 are same fly but different size and view per...

Reply
Sep 13, 2021 22:17:59   #
Sinker Rig Loc: Tampa area
 
fishyaker wrote:
Lot's of good suggestions thus far regarding choices...especially if you want to trigger them underwater. If the pond is small enough, and your casting can reach plenty of water, then I might suggest continuing to try "surface" flies. If you can get out in a canoe or kayak...all the better.

As suggested...froggy looking things are dynamite. The attached photo is from my
"top picks" that I keep on hand. I throw these with an 8 weight floating line on an old Fenwick fiberglass rod from the 60's...a real blast!

Dope them up with floatant, and you should be able to catch at least a half dozen before needing to switch to a new dry version and set the mushed up one aside to dry for a future use.

Good luck!

PS. I've actually caught some mammoth sized bluegills on these flies in a farm pond styled setting too!
Lot's of good suggestions thus far regarding choic... (show quote)


I like that green sucker with yellow eyes.....I'd hit that

Reply
Sep 13, 2021 22:37:57   #
Robert J Samples Loc: Round Rock, Texas
 
I really know less than nothing about flys or fishing with them, but If I was there, I would certainly tie on that green one, it just looks like what a bass would go for! Just Sayin....RJS

Reply
 
 
Sep 14, 2021 00:25:54   #
nutz4fish Loc: Colchester, CT
 
fishyaker wrote:
Lot's of good suggestions thus far regarding choices...especially if you want to trigger them underwater. If the pond is small enough, and your casting can reach plenty of water, then I might suggest continuing to try "surface" flies. If you can get out in a canoe or kayak...all the better.

As suggested...froggy looking things are dynamite. The attached photo is from my
"top picks" that I keep on hand. I throw these with an 8 weight floating line on an old Fenwick fiberglass rod from the 60's...a real blast!

Dope them up with floatant, and you should be able to catch at least a half dozen before needing to switch to a new dry version and set the mushed up one aside to dry for a future use.

***********************
Where could I get those flies , and what are they called. I would try em out eith spinning gear and a bubble .
Those two on the bottom lookreally good to me, but as you know, All lures catch anglers, only some catch fish. I'll trust your judgment on their fish catching ability, and enjoy them also as eye candy for my viewing plesure.
*************************
Good luck!

PS. I've actually caught some mammoth sized bluegills on these flies in a farm pond styled setting too!
Lot's of good suggestions thus far regarding choic... (show quote)

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 01:05:47   #
Blackdog Loc: Round Rock, TX
 
Andyconnor wrote:
I keep trying poppers , all different sizes
Catch a ton of blue gills but no bass


I'd go with Texas rigged Green Pumpkin worm if it was me. Flip it inot the Shade, under trees, across the mats. I'd also use a 2/0 or bigger hook.

Tight Lines AC

BD

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 05:53:48   #
bknecht Loc: Northeast pa
 
Andyconnor wrote:
Fly fishing flies? For bass


Andy, fishyaker had some great suggestions, in addition here are some others I’ve found have worked pretty well for me. Green foam frog, big streamer and a leech/helgramite imitation.

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 05:55:32   #
bknecht Loc: Northeast pa
 
bknecht wrote:
Andy, fishyaker had some great suggestions, in addition here are some others I’ve found have worked pretty well for me. Green foam frog, big streamer and a leech/helgramite imitation.



Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.