Fishing Stage - Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main
Abu Garcia Black Max
Sep 13, 2021 11:39:45   #
FS Digest
 
I’m looking at potentially buying the black max for when I decide to pick up another bait caster combo. I hear it’s a really good steal for the price. Any one else’s opinion? Was also looking at the pro max (already have the max pro, Revo X and Revo SX) I’m willing to try other companies but I don’t go over $300 for a combo cause I’m just a casual fisherman. As long as the stuff performs well, that’s all that matters.

(And before anyone mentions any lews products, I’m not a lews fan. Not bad stuff just personally don’t like their stuff)

--
by kalani8m

Reply
Sep 13, 2021 12:26:24   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
FS Digest wrote:
I’m looking at potentially buying the black max for when I decide to pick up another bait caster combo. I hear it’s a really good steal for the price. Any one else’s opinion? Was also looking at the pro max (already have the max pro, Revo X and Revo SX) I’m willing to try other companies but I don’t go over $300 for a combo cause I’m just a casual fisherman. As long as the stuff performs well, that’s all that matters.

(And before anyone mentions any lews products, I’m not a lews fan. Not bad stuff just personally don’t like their stuff)

--
by kalani8m
I’m looking at potentially buying the black max fo... (show quote)


Go with the Pro max if it's in your budget.

Reply
Sep 13, 2021 14:17:28   #
Ben Bragg Loc: Dayton Ohio
 
Had one . Decent . It’s on a shelf now with the others that didn’t make the cut.

Bout all I can offer

Reply
 
 
Sep 14, 2021 09:38:51   #
bucky buckner Loc: murrells inlet SC
 
FS Digest wrote:
I’m looking at potentially buying the black max for when I decide to pick up another bait caster combo. I hear it’s a really good steal for the price. Any one else’s opinion? Was also looking at the pro max (already have the max pro, Revo X and Revo SX) I’m willing to try other companies but I don’t go over $300 for a combo cause I’m just a casual fisherman. As long as the stuff performs well, that’s all that matters.

(And before anyone mentions any lews products, I’m not a lews fan. Not bad stuff just personally don’t like their stuff)

--
by kalani8m
I’m looking at potentially buying the black max fo... (show quote)


I have the blackmax, I love it, great for flounder, trout, reds , I got lucky and caught a 40inch red fish, it all most spooled me, about 6 raps left but I got her. pics coming

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 09:53:48   #
Hookmeup Loc: Springfield VA
 
Kalani8m, I grew up using Penns, Abu Garcias,and Luxors, all my reels are Vintage from the 40's, 50's, 60's into the 70's , I do repair and collect these reels so all that I have are in great working order. Some of these reel like Penns are being built in China, I'm just saying , they are not built like the vintage reels I have . If you get a chance to take your reels apart check out the materials used in all of the gears, if there are plastic, Teflon gears I will not use them period. If you are fishing for Salmon and Giant Trevally they will wreck you gear even your poles. Kalei

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 09:55:16   #
bucky buckner Loc: murrells inlet SC
 
bucky buckner wrote:
I have the blackmax, I love it, great for flounder, trout, reds , I got lucky and caught a 40inch red fish, it all most spooled me, about 6 raps left but I got her. pics coming





Reply
Sep 14, 2021 11:09:00   #
Jeffchow88 Loc: San Francisco
 
I have the low profile Black Max that I bought for flipping. I also have the 3600 that I got for saltwater. I like both a lot and wish they hadn’t discontinued them.

Reply
 
 
Sep 14, 2021 15:31:36   #
flyguy Loc: So. Padre Island, TX. 1 & 2, & S.E. MN. 3-12
 
That is a big Red, Bucky!

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 17:27:18   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
Awesome Redfish Bucky! Must have been a great fight on a baitcaster. Thanks for the pictures

Reply
Sep 14, 2021 17:41:03   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
Jeffchow88 wrote:
I have the low profile Black Max that I bought for flipping. I also have the 3600 that I got for saltwater. I like both a lot and wish they hadn’t discontinued them.


I believe they just redesigned and renamed the Max series Jeff. I have a Black, Silver, and Pro Max, and comparing the specs to the new ones they're pretty much the same. The only difference I see is maximum drag went down to 15lb, from 18lb (which I think was overrated anyway). Same bearing count,Durabrass gears, and same braking systems.

Reply
Sep 15, 2021 08:47:43   #
bucky buckner Loc: murrells inlet SC
 
flyguy wrote:
That is a big Red, Bucky!


thanks I got lucky

Reply
 
 
Sep 15, 2021 08:51:01   #
bucky buckner Loc: murrells inlet SC
 
Fredfish wrote:
Awesome Redfish Bucky! Must have been a great fight on a baitcaster. Thanks for the pictures


thanks,Fred all but 6 raps left on spool thought it was a ray at first, then she showed her big ol head. Great fight

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.