Fishing Stage - Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main
Looking for line recommendations
Page 1 of 2 next>
Jul 21, 2021 08:27:47   #
FS Digest
 
Howdy folks, I’ll start with some background and get into what I’m looking for in terms of line for my setups.

Started fishing last year, got obsessed and bought two baitcasters. I am targeting bass with the occasional northern pike in Michigan. I am only looking to maintain these two setups to save some money. Maybe I’ll add a third or fourth down the line but for now, I want to run with these two. My two set ups are as follows:

Topwater Shimano Slx DC 7:2 40lb pp line 7MH Fast action lews magnum bass 1 rod

Mainly using a buzzbait, Zara spook, poppers, frogs ect.. anything topwater. It works great and I love this set up. (I loosen up my drag for the spook & popper, and it works great)

Finesse / cranking set up(I know, not ideal) Lews speed spool 7:2:1 15lb mono 7M fast action fenwick eagle.

I’m looking for line recommendations on my second setup. I really really like the feeling and strength of braid especially because the occasional pike will hit me and I hate losing lures. With that being said, I don’t think it’s ideal to put on this setup. I was thinking 30lb pp with a fluoro or mono leader, but not exactly sure if I should run straight fluoro, braid or mono instead. I am hoping to have some versatility with this setup so I can throw crankbaits, senkos, swim baits and jigs. Any recommendations on line I should be using? Worth noting that if you think I can throw more lures on my first setup, let me know. I’d love to hear some input.

Also worth noting I’m planning on selling my Lews reel and possibly getting another slx dc. I freaking love it and don’t want to throw my Lews anymore because of that damn zing sound.

Thanks for reading my novel, tight lines.

--
by the-lost-

Reply
Jul 21, 2021 08:47:18   #
Ivey Loc: South Central Tennessee, Tim's Ford Lake
 
FS Digest wrote:
Howdy folks, I’ll start with some background and get into what I’m looking for in terms of line for my setups.

Started fishing last year, got obsessed and bought two baitcasters. I am targeting bass with the occasional northern pike in Michigan. I am only looking to maintain these two setups to save some money. Maybe I’ll add a third or fourth down the line but for now, I want to run with these two. My two set ups are as follows:

Topwater Shimano Slx DC 7:2 40lb pp line 7MH Fast action lews magnum bass 1 rod

Mainly using a buzzbait, Zara spook, poppers, frogs ect.. anything topwater. It works great and I love this set up. (I loosen up my drag for the spook & popper, and it works great)

Finesse / cranking set up(I know, not ideal) Lews speed spool 7:2:1 15lb mono 7M fast action fenwick eagle.

I’m looking for line recommendations on my second setup. I really really like the feeling and strength of braid especially because the occasional pike will hit me and I hate losing lures. With that being said, I don’t think it’s ideal to put on this setup. I was thinking 30lb pp with a fluoro or mono leader, but not exactly sure if I should run straight fluoro, braid or mono instead. I am hoping to have some versatility with this setup so I can throw crankbaits, senkos, swim baits and jigs. Any recommendations on line I should be using? Worth noting that if you think I can throw more lures on my first setup, let me know. I’d love to hear some input.

Also worth noting I’m planning on selling my Lews reel and possibly getting another slx dc. I freaking love it and don’t want to throw my Lews anymore because of that damn zing sound.

Thanks for reading my novel, tight lines.

--
by the-lost-
Howdy folks, I’ll start with some background and g... (show quote)


A cranking rig or lures that sink You should go with either Floro. Braid, or a combination of both they both sink so it doesn't take away from the action of your lures. Top water I personally go with mono because it does floats and won't drag the nose of your lure down.

Reply
Jul 21, 2021 14:57:51   #
OJdidit Loc: Oak Creek Wisconsin
 
Ivey wrote:
A cranking rig or lures that sink You should go with either Floro. Braid, or a combination of both they both sink so it doesn't take away from the action of your lures. Top water I personally go with mono because it does floats and won't drag the nose of your lure down.


Dang Ivey, I guess I had this wrong…I thought braid floats and mono sinks slowly, just not as fast as fluoro?

Reply
 
 
Jul 22, 2021 10:44:27   #
HenryG Loc: Falmouth Cape Cod Massachusetts
 
OJdidit wrote:
Dang Ivey, I guess I had this wrong…I thought braid floats and mono sinks slowly, just not as fast as fluoro?


Braid does float and what you say about mono is true also

Reply
Jul 22, 2021 11:23:22   #
Ivey Loc: South Central Tennessee, Tim's Ford Lake
 
OJdidit wrote:
Dang Ivey, I guess I had this wrong…I thought braid floats and mono sinks slowly, just not as fast as fluoro?


Any line with time will sink but I normally use my live well as a catchall for trash, when I'm not keeping fish, the end of the day when I open the live well mono will always be on top. Floro goes straight to the bottom and braid isn't far behind. That's just my practical and observed experience. I always use mono for top water and get better action without the lure digging in. Floro defiantly pulls the bait down and braid, I only use for bottom fishing a jig, does better than both for sinking but that may be because the line size on braid is so much smaller.

Reply
Jul 22, 2021 15:07:32   #
Tyee Loc: Normal, Illinois
 
20-30# braid tied to 10-15# fluoro leader. I use a double uni knot. Brand is personal preference, but I’m happy w Sufix 832 and Seaguar Invisx. I start w 5-6’ of leader but it gets shorter as the day progresses and I’m switching lures.

Reply
Jul 22, 2021 15:18:08   #
RJFlowers Loc: Montana
 
Braid is light weight, and will float if attached to a floating leader, such as nylon. However, nylon absorbs water, which weakens it, and stretches', reducing hook set power, and sensitivity. Fluorocarbon is heavier than water, and will sink. Due to its light refraction density, it becomes almost invisible to the fish.. It does not absorb water, and it is both more stretch, and abrasion resistant. For toothy pike, often, a steel leader is used

For your top water rig, use thye braid, and a nylon leader. For underwater work, use braid, and fluorocarbon, or just fluorocarbon, both leader types at 12 to 20 lb. test.

RJFlowers

Reply
 
 
Jul 22, 2021 21:46:53   #
HenryG Loc: Falmouth Cape Cod Massachusetts
 
RJFlowers wrote:
Braid is light weight, and will float if attached to a floating leader, such as nylon. However, nylon absorbs water, which weakens it, and stretches', reducing hook set power, and sensitivity. Fluorocarbon is heavier than water, and will sink. Due to its light refraction density, it becomes almost invisible to the fish.. It does not absorb water, and it is both more stretch, and abrasion resistant. For toothy pike, often, a steel leader is used

For your top water rig, use thye braid, and a nylon leader. For underwater work, use braid, and fluorocarbon, or just fluorocarbon, both leader types at 12 to 20 lb. test.

RJFlowers
Braid is light weight, and will float if attached ... (show quote)

Hey R j you seem to know the tech behind lines if you don't mind me asking a question that comes to my mind a lot the media says that the fish dont see this or don't taste this how do they know that
are there any prove to the claims?

Reply
Jul 22, 2021 23:13:59   #
Chuck56 Loc: Texas
 
Fluoro for the crank, as others have said....My 2cents

Reply
Jul 23, 2021 18:32:33   #
RJFlowers Loc: Montana
 
HenryG wrote:
Hey R j you seem to know the tech behind lines if you don't mind me asking a question that comes to my mind a lot the media says that the fish don't see this or don't taste this how do they know that
are there any prove to the claims?


Fish eyes are comprised of cones, and rods, as are most animal eyes. They do see a differing spectrum of light than we do, as they can see things in the dark better. Other than that. they are still dependent on the physics of light, just as we are. Fluorocarbon line has a specific light refraction characteristic that is the same as water, meaning that a clear fluorocarbon line will not distort, or bend the light different than does water. This is what makes it invisible. It was once thought that red colored line became invisible under certain depths. This was a supposed factor of red light being absorbed quickly at moderately shallow depths. What actually happens is that the red color is indeed absorbed, leaving a dark colored line in its place. Red light, though bright looking to the human eye, is actually a weak light. Because of its weak energy, it is used in darken ship conditions at night by Naval vessels. It isn't able to travel far, or pierce through fog or haze. Blue light is used on aircraft runways, and the rotating bacon lights at airports as the energy is strong, and can be seen through snow squalls, fog, and hazy conditions from a much greater distance. The shorter the wavelength of light, the more power it retains when propagated through distance.

This is a little info on light transmission, and fluorocarbon line. Note, when purchasing fluorocarbon lines, do a little research on the brand. Some companies apply coatings, or additives to their formulas, which can reduce the strength, and/or transparency of the line, albeit making it less expensive to produce.

Seeeeya; RJFlowers

Reply
Jul 23, 2021 20:41:50   #
HenryG Loc: Falmouth Cape Cod Massachusetts
 
RJFlowers wrote:
Fish eyes are comprised of cones, and rods, as are most animal eyes. They do see a differing spectrum of light than we do, as they can see things in the dark better. Other than that. they are still dependent on the physics of light, just as we are. Fluorocarbon line has a specific light refraction characteristic that is the same as water, meaning that a clear fluorocarbon line will not distort, or bend the light different than does water. This is what makes it invisible. It was once thought that red colored line became invisible under certain depths. This was a supposed factor of red light being absorbed quickly at moderately shallow depths. What actually happens is that the red color is indeed absorbed, leaving a dark colored line in its place. Red light, though bright looking to the human eye, is actually a weak light. Because of its weak energy, it is used in darken ship conditions at night by Naval vessels. It isn't able to travel far, or pierce through fog or haze. Blue light is used on aircraft runways, and the rotating bacon lights at airports as the energy is strong, and can be seen through snow squalls, fog, and hazy conditions from a much greater distance. The shorter the wavelength of light, the more power it retains when propagated through distance.

This is a little info on light transmission, and fluorocarbon line. Note, when purchasing fluorocarbon lines, do a little research on the brand. Some companies apply coatings, or additives to their formulas, which can reduce the strength, and/or transparency of the line, albeit making it less expensive to produce.

Seeeeya; RJFlowers
Fish eyes are comprised of cones, and rods, as are... (show quote)

Hey RJ THANKS ALOT FOR THE LESSON . HOW DOES THE COPOLYMER LINE COME INTO PLAY THATS COATED WITH THE FLUOROCARBON

Reply
 
 
Jul 24, 2021 11:44:21   #
RJFlowers Loc: Montana
 
Take a glass of water, in a clear glass. Place a glass tube into the glass, and notice the refractive effect, wich causes the tube to appear distorted. Now, place a plastic tube into the glass tube, about half way into the tube. You can see another distortion, this time created by the transmission characteristics if the clear plastic tube. The refractive characteristics of the a copolymer line are different than the refraction of the fluorocarbon, and will make the line more visible to the fish. Copolymers such as gel-spun lines are very strong, and limp, with very little memory. They are also much thinner for a given strength than fluorocarbon, nylon, and similar lines, making them good choices for turbid water. But if you want maximum transparency, go with pure fluorocarbon.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Reply
Jul 24, 2021 13:12:51   #
HenryG Loc: Falmouth Cape Cod Massachusetts
 
RJFlowers wrote:
Take a glass of water, in a clear glass. Place a glass tube into the glass, and notice the refractive effect, wich causes the tube to appear distorted. Now, place a plastic tube into the glass tube, about half way into the tube. You can see another distortion, this time created by the transmission characteristics if the clear plastic tube. The refractive characteristics of the a copolymer line are different than the refraction of the fluorocarbon, and will make the line more visible to the fish. Copolymers such as gel-spun lines are very strong, and limp, with very little memory. They are also much thinner for a given strength than fluorocarbon, nylon, and similar lines, making them good choices for turbid water. But if you want maximum transparency, go with pure fluorocarbon.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Take a glass of water, in a clear glass. Place a ... (show quote)


Why would HighSeas coat their Grand Slam COPOLYMER line with the fluoro? TO make it less visible than just the COPOLYMER?

Reply
Jul 24, 2021 18:36:13   #
RJFlowers Loc: Montana
 
I would guess it's a marketing ploy. However, I can't say that for sure, as I haven't tested it. It's best to take a bit of it, and place it in a fish tank along side a pure fluorocarbon line.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Reply
Jul 24, 2021 20:15:47   #
HenryG Loc: Falmouth Cape Cod Massachusetts
 
RJFlowers wrote:
I would guess it's a marketing ploy. However, I can't say that for sure, as I haven't tested it. It's best to take a bit of it, and place it in a fish tank along side a pure fluorocarbon line.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Well I wouldn't think it would BE as invisible as pure flouro but why do it? $$$$$$$$$$$ ???

Reply
Page 1 of 2 next>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.