Fishing Stage - Forum
Home Active Topics Newest Pictures Search Login Register
Main
Second trip
Jun 10, 2021 17:54:44   #
lipsticker Loc: Hartford Wisconsin
 
Went out on Lake Michigan for our second trip. Put 6 in the box and lost.... 9 fish, Thinking I need sharpen some hooks! Action was steady, This time we fished the "green can" for anyone familiar with the Milwaukee lake front. Cold water is near shore, we were fishing 65 foot depth and seeing 47 Deg. water at forty feet. Green and blue fly on a 17" leader behind bright red flasher was hot. 1.8 MPH at the ball.
All the fish ran in the 4 to 5 Lb range, I missed the pictures at the fish house but did send one of the two I took home getting ready for the grill. Yum...
Also added a couple of the sun set.







Reply
Jun 10, 2021 18:05:00   #
bknecht Loc: Northeast pa
 
lipsticker wrote:
Went out on Lake Michigan for our second trip. Put 6 in the box and lost.... 9 fish, Thinking I need sharpen some hooks! Action was steady, This time we fished the "green can" for anyone familiar with the Milwaukee lake front. Cold water is near shore, we were fishing 65 foot depth and seeing 47 Deg. water at forty feet. Green and blue fly on a 17" leader behind bright red flasher was hot. 1.8 MPH at the ball.
All the fish ran in the 4 to 5 Lb range, I missed the pictures at the fish house but did send one of the two I took home getting ready for the grill. Yum...
Also added a couple of the sun set.
Went out on Lake Michigan for our second trip. Put... (show quote)


Nice pictures, but how did they bite your baits lipsticker?

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 18:42:29   #
lipsticker Loc: Hartford Wisconsin
 
bknecht wrote:
Nice pictures, but how did they bite your baits lipsticker?


Wife and Daughter don't like it when I leave the heads on..

Reply
 
 
Jun 10, 2021 19:18:03   #
CamT Loc: La Porte, Texas
 
Love the pictures thanks

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 20:28:00   #
Sinker Rig Loc: Tampa area
 
lipsticker wrote:
Wife and Daughter don't like it when I leave the heads on..


Mine either....I grill mangrove snapper with the heads on, love looking at that menacing head and yellow eyes while I'm eating

Reply
Jun 10, 2021 22:56:38   #
Fatman Loc: Doylestown, OH
 
Nice fish. Way to go. Thanks for the pics. πŸ‘πŸ‘

Reply
Jun 11, 2021 07:23:40   #
fishyaker Loc: NW Michigan (Lower Peninsula)
 
Glad to hear that you guys are still "slammin' the salmon"! By your catch record and action you are 100% in the zone of getting it all dialed in for success! Great photos...and I love seeing those rods arched, awaiting the final bite of the day as the sun goes down!

Just a quick FYI regarding hook set ups in your flies. Over the years I have adopted a routine of making sure that there are at least 2 hooks hidden inside of the fly. One at the end, and another in the middle. I have also found that I get the best hook sets when using 2 "single" hooks snelled in line, such as those pictured in the packet (red octopus). Some fly brands already do this, and if I like the hook arrangement I leave it alone. If I am not comfortable with the OEM hook set up then I tie up my own leader with a pair of singles. The hook size depends on the size of the fly. The Bugeye brand is nice and bushy (large profile). If the baitfish are smaller then I step down in fly size. In my opinion, I think that the larger size of a pair of single hooks is a great way to bring more fish to the net without them getting off. I used to fish in quite a few salmon tournaments, and we rarely lost any fish with this approach.

Note how the pair of single hooks are riding "alternate" to each other...and not just in line. As you mentioned..."sharp" hooks do matter as well, so if you are confident in your hook arrangements, then sharpening your hooks may be the solution. As fisherman, we do often tend to ignore the importance of sharp hooks!

Since treble hooks tend to have a smaller hook gap, with respect to fly size, I suspect that is why we used to loose fish due to lack of penetration into the tough jaws of a salmon. We also get fewer "knock offs" nowadays at the initial strike. Instead...the strike results in a hook up.

That being said, there are always those days when fish just seem to have all the luck and they end up escaping no matter how well you plan!
hooks pulled out from fly for illustration - normally they are tucked well inside of the fly as usual!
hooks pulled out from fly for illustration - norma...

Reply
 
 
Jun 11, 2021 11:35:35   #
lipsticker Loc: Hartford Wisconsin
 
fishyaker wrote:
Glad to hear that you guys are still "slammin' the salmon"! By your catch record and action you are 100% in the zone of getting it all dialed in for success! Great photos...and I love seeing those rods arched, awaiting the final bite of the day as the sun goes down!

Just a quick FYI regarding hook set ups in your flies. Over the years I have adopted a routine of making sure that there are at least 2 hooks hidden inside of the fly. One at the end, and another in the middle. I have also found that I get the best hook sets when using 2 "single" hooks snelled in line, such as those pictured in the packet (red octopus). Some fly brands already do this, and if I like the hook arrangement I leave it alone. If I am not comfortable with the OEM hook set up then I tie up my own leader with a pair of singles. The hook size depends on the size of the fly. The Bugeye brand is nice and bushy (large profile). If the baitfish are smaller then I step down in fly size. In my opinion, I think that the larger size of a pair of single hooks is a great way to bring more fish to the net without them getting off. I used to fish in quite a few salmon tournaments, and we rarely lost any fish with this approach.

Note how the pair of single hooks are riding "alternate" to each other...and not just in line. As you mentioned..."sharp" hooks do matter as well, so if you are confident in your hook arrangements, then sharpening your hooks may be the solution. As fisherman, we do often tend to ignore the importance of sharp hooks!

Since treble hooks tend to have a smaller hook gap, with respect to fly size, I suspect that is why we used to loose fish due to lack of penetration into the tough jaws of a salmon. We also get fewer "knock offs" nowadays at the initial strike. Instead...the strike results in a hook up.

That being said, there are always those days when fish just seem to have all the luck and they end up escaping no matter how well you plan!
Glad to hear that you guys are still "slammin... (show quote)


Fish, Thanks for the info. I will do a little changing up on a couple rigs and we will see. Being it was only trip 2 we are still kind of zeroing in on "Final presentation" Color and size. This side of the lake is seeing a large population of fresh water shrimp so far, they are bringing the alewives in to feed and the Coho and Steelhead are enjoying the buffet! The water column is pretty stable top to bottom so finding any temperature brakes just isn't happening.
I can't wait to get into some of those big fat slob King's but right now water is the same everywhere. Let's hope that west wind keeps blowing, it has things working over here for now.

Reply
Jun 11, 2021 15:24:55   #
hacksaw Loc: Pasadena, Texas
 
lipsticker wrote:
Went out on Lake Michigan for our second trip. Put 6 in the box and lost.... 9 fish, Thinking I need sharpen some hooks! Action was steady, This time we fished the "green can" for anyone familiar with the Milwaukee lake front. Cold water is near shore, we were fishing 65 foot depth and seeing 47 Deg. water at forty feet. Green and blue fly on a 17" leader behind bright red flasher was hot. 1.8 MPH at the ball.
All the fish ran in the 4 to 5 Lb range, I missed the pictures at the fish house but did send one of the two I took home getting ready for the grill. Yum...
Also added a couple of the sun set.
Went out on Lake Michigan for our second trip. Put... (show quote)


That’s sure knowing how fish your waters. Beautiful fillets. Yummy πŸ˜‹.
Hack πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸΊπŸΊ

Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
Main
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.