Fishing Stage - Fishing Forum
Where to find high quality topographic maps of lakes?
Feb 23, 2021 18:51:36   #
FS Digest
 
I’m looking to get a 4 ft x 2 ft print of my local lake showing the underwater topography. Apps are great and all but I personally would like a large physical map to look at as i’m planning my next fishing trip. Preferably a map that would look nice hanging on a wall too as a decoration of sorts. If y’all know any websites that I could get a .jpeg from or even a site that sells already printed and framed maps, your help would be greatly appreciated!!

--
by 5apnupuas

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 18:52:32   #
Jeremy Loc: Oregon
 
Navionics

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 20:15:17   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
Check with your state F&G, or Dept.of Environmental Protection. Many have maps available, here in CT.they publish a book with maps, fish population info, technical description of the waterway and watershed. Also includes directions and description of launch ramps and parking.

| Reply
 
 
Feb 24, 2021 12:57:00   #
Elefantdude Loc: Livermore, CA
 
Everywhere I move, I always get , waterproof maps of area lakes from this company :-)
https://www.fishnmap.com/

| Reply
Feb 25, 2021 11:20:01   #
JimCT Loc: Connecticut
 
Elefantdude wrote:
Everywhere I move, I always get , waterproof maps of area lakes from this company :-)
https://www.fishnmap.com/



Useful link for those living in the west. Connecticut DEEP publishes a nice book on just about every fish able body of water in the state with detailed bathymetry maps. Mass. Has good online maps, but I never checked for printed versions. Navionics covers a lot more of the country

| Reply
Feb 25, 2021 15:52:44   #
FixorFish Loc: SW Oregon
 
Elefantdude wrote:
Everywhere I move, I always get , waterproof maps of area lakes from this company :-)
https://www.fishnmap.com/


Went to the site. It CLAIMS to offer many for the Western states, has a place to enter state/region, fresh or salt.. & "key words". Did this exercise in futility 12 times, got 3 or 4 Oregon offerings, all for the Columbia or Willamette..... other end of the state, of no use, to me. Could NOT get a single lake, no rivers but the 2, nor any saltwater venue, regardless of what I put in for "key words" or state, etc.
IMO.... WORTHLESS SITE !!

| Reply
Feb 25, 2021 16:08:27   #
Elefantdude Loc: Livermore, CA
 
FixorFish wrote:
Went to the site. It CLAIMS to offer many for the Western states, has a place to enter state/region, fresh or salt.. & "key words". Did this exercise in futility 12 times, got 3 or 4 Oregon offerings, all for the Columbia or Willamette..... other end of the state, of no use, to me. Could NOT get a single lake, no rivers but the 2, nor any saltwater venue, regardless of what I put in for "key words" or state, etc.
IMO.... WORTHLESS SITE !!


Sorry to hear the site is WORTHLESS to you, FixOrFish. For some people, it is AWESOME. I think it is AWESOME. I fish the whole state, when I lived in Arizona and now here in California. If you look at the details on the maps they make, it is a wealth of information, you cannot deny that.
Maybe you can contact them and request they get lakes done for your area?

| Reply
 
 
Feb 25, 2021 17:27:34   #
FixorFish Loc: SW Oregon
 
Might well be, if I could FIND ANYTHING close to my area. Is there a trick to filling out the search boxes ? All but the aforementioned 4 areas of the Columbia & Willamette, it "reset" all but the "freshwater or saltwater" boxes. Everytime I put in a "keyword", like "lakes, or rivers, or named a specific waterbody", it ALWAYS blanked the box upon response. What do YOU put in the "area/state" and "keywords" box ?

| Reply
Feb 25, 2021 18:10:45   #
Elefantdude Loc: Livermore, CA
 
FixorFish wrote:
Might well be, if I could FIND ANYTHING close to my area. Is there a trick to filling out the search boxes ? All but the aforementioned 4 areas of the Columbia & Willamette, it "reset" all but the "freshwater or saltwater" boxes. Everytime I put in a "keyword", like "lakes, or rivers, or named a specific waterbody", it ALWAYS blanked the box upon response. What do YOU put in the "area/state" and "keywords" box ?


They probably only have a few areas detailed for the State of Oregon.
I just did a search on all Oregon waterways that they have maps for and this is what came up:
Let me know if the search results come up for you:

https://www.fishnmap.com/catalog.php?q=a%3A4%3A%7Bs%3A6%3A%22region%22%3Ba%3A1%3A%7Bi%3A0%3Bi%3A116%3B%7Ds%3A9%3A%22watertype%22%3Bi%3A1%3Bs%3A3%3A%22gps%22%3Bb%3A0%3Bs%3A6%3A%22string%22%3Bs%3A0%3A%22%22%3B%7D

Attached file:
(Download)

| Reply
Feb 25, 2021 18:56:28   #
FixorFish Loc: SW Oregon
 
Well, thanks for the effort, you were successful in finding a couple more than my efforts did, however....all still hundreds of miles away....oh well.
BTW, did you notice that in the "by state" listings.....no Oregon, at all !!??.... just weird, since they obviously HAVE the ones above. Methinks the site manager isn't very sharp....I give up..... moving on....

| Reply
Feb 25, 2021 19:29:56   #
Elefantdude Loc: Livermore, CA
 
FixorFish wrote:
Well, thanks for the effort, you were successful in finding a couple more than my efforts did, however....all still hundreds of miles away....oh well.
BTW, did you notice that in the "by state" listings.....no Oregon, at all !!??.... just weird, since they obviously HAVE the ones above. Methinks the site manager isn't very sharp....I give up..... moving on....


Sorry they did not have the maps you were looking for, FixOrFish. Maybe there are some other groups that have put ones together for your area? What area are you looking for? I used to live in Caldwell, ID and have visited Owyhee Reservoir on the east border of Oregon. I've wanted to fish the other lakes in Malheur County too. But did not make it up there.
I used this link to look for maps and information on the lakes in that area :-)
https://www.fishingworks.com/oregon/malheur-or/

| Reply
 
 
Feb 25, 2021 20:16:40   #
FixorFish Loc: SW Oregon
 
Thanks... still hundreds of miles away. I guess I'll stick to my "so-so" Amato Books maps and visit the forestry service office again.

| Reply
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.