Fishing Stage - Fishing Forum
Winter flounder tips?
Page: 1 2 next>>
Feb 23, 2021 07:09:10   #
Monster1965 Loc: New jersey
 
Looking for tips on winter flounder fishing. I have never fished for them. I read that they lie in shallow waters and that you should use clam for bait. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some other technics. I fish along the nj coast. Thanks. Jim

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 07:53:44   #
Whitey Loc: Southeast ohio
 
Welcome monster sorry I can't help you others will be along shortly. Good luck to you and tight lines

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 08:04:02   #
Flytier Loc: Wilmington Delaware
 
You might have better luck with blood worms. They have a very small mouth so I see about a size 6 long shank hook. Watch you regs. Very strict limits since they were severely overfished.

| Reply
 
 
Feb 23, 2021 09:14:22   #
Danger25 Loc: Cape may New Jersey
 
Never tried for them in winter..where in Jersey are you fishing Monster?

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 09:45:03   #
flyguy Loc: So. Padre Island, TX. 1 & 2, & S.E. MN. 3-12
 
Monster1965 wrote:
Looking for tips on winter flounder fishing. I have never fished for them. I read that they lie in shallow waters and that you should use clam for bait. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some other technics. I fish along the nj coast. Thanks. Jim


Welcome to the Forum, Monster. I have caught them drifting a popping cork with live shrimp on a size 10 treble hook off from a jetty on an incoming tide in South Padre Island, Tx.

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 10:46:55   #
greenfrog Loc: Central NJ
 
Winter Flounder
2 fish at 12 inches
Open Season: Mar. 1 – Dec. 31
Warm sunny days are best. Chumming helps. Chum log or catfood can.
Painted yellow sinkers or yellow beads above hooks. Small long shank hook.
Worms and small clam strips for bait. Nightcrawlers will work also but don't last long.
Have not fished for them in recent years they are pretty scarce. Last one I got by accident snagging bunker.

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 12:23:21   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
Sand worms on a 2 hook rig or even an old school spreader rig. 1-2 oz bank sinker, fished over a sandy bottom. Used to use presnelled flounder hooks on a brass spreader. Cast it out, let it sit a little, crank it in a couple turns, and repeat. Good luck!

| Reply
 
 
Feb 23, 2021 12:47:25   #
Monster1965 Loc: New jersey
 
Thanks, I know only allowed 2 at 12 inches
Weather has blown me out for over a month, looking forward to just get out on the water.

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 13:22:08   #
Monster1965 Loc: New jersey
 
Mostly from ocean city up to the sandy hook

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 13:23:08   #
Monster1965 Loc: New jersey
 
Thanks, just hoping to have a nice day on the water.

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 14:05:19   #
Monster1965 Loc: New jersey
 
Wow, that's a different approach than I would have thought of. I will keep that in mind. Thanks

| Reply
 
 
Feb 23, 2021 14:28:57   #
Whitey Loc: Southeast ohio
 
Hey monster a heads up if you click on quote reply below the post you are responding to then we all will know who you are answeringđź‘Ť

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 14:50:13   #
Monster1965 Loc: New jersey
 
Whitey wrote:
Hey monster a heads up if you click on quote reply below the post you are responding to then we all will know who you are answeringđź‘Ť


Thanks

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 17:52:33   #
Flytier Loc: Wilmington Delaware
 
flyguy wrote:
Welcome to the Forum, Monster. I have caught them drifting a popping cork with live shrimp on a size 10 treble hook off from a jetty on an incoming tide in South Padre Island, Tx.


I think that's a different flounder Fly. If I remember rightly the one you're referring to is our summer flounder which is left sided. The winter flounder,Pseodopleuronectides, is right sided, smaller and prefers worms. The also don't have spots.

| Reply
Feb 23, 2021 18:33:23   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
Flytier wrote:
I think that's a different flounder Fly. If I remember rightly the one you're referring to is our summer flounder which is left sided. The winter flounder,Pseodopleuronectides, is right sided, smaller and prefers worms. The also don't have spots.


Winters are called Blackbacks sometimes, and summers are Fluke. See an occasional Window Pane in L.I.S.too.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.