Fishing Stage - Fishing Forum
Sunday observations
Page: 1 2 next>>
Feb 21, 2021 15:50:16   #
Ronniejw Loc: West Point MS
 
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls a hotline to report flooding.

“Help me!” the kid exclaims. “I’m standing in two feet of water!”

“Now stay calm,” the person answering the hotline replies. “Two feet of water does not constitute a flood emergency around here.”

“It does around here!” says the kid. “I’m calling from the fourth floor!”




If you have reached the 50 year hill this piece was written just for you....



Causes of MENTAL CONFUSION IN THE THIRD AGE

By Arnaldo Liechtenstein, physician.

Whenever I teach clinical medicine to students in the fourth year of medicine, I ask the following question:

What are the causes of mental confusion in the elderly?

Some offer: "Tumours in the head". I answer: No!

Others suggest: "Early symptoms of Alzheimer's". I answer again: No!

With each rejection of their answers, their responses dry up.

And they are even more open-mouthed when I list the three most common causes:

- uncontrolled diabetes

- urinary infection

- dehydration.

It may sound like a joke, but it isn't. People over 50 constantly stop feeling thirsty and consequently stop drinking fluids.

When no one is around to remind them to drink fluids, they quickly dehydrate. Dehydration is severe and affects the entire body. It may cause abrupt mental confusion, a drop in blood pressure, increased heart palpitations, angina (chest pain), coma and even death.

This forgetting to drink fluids begins at age 50, when we have just over 50% of the water we should have in our bodies. People over 50 have a lower water reserve. This is part of the natural aging process.

But there are more complications. Although they are dehydrated, they don't feel like drinking water, because their internal balance mechanisms don't work very well.

Conclusion

People over 50 years old dehydrate easily, not only because they have a smaller water supply, but also because they do not feel the lack of water in the body.

Although people over 50 may look healthy, the performance of reactions and chemical functions can damage their entire body.

So here are two alerts

1 *Get into the habit of drinking liquids*. Liquids include water, juices, teas, coconut water, milk, soups,and water-rich fruits, such as watermelon, melon, peaches and pineapple. Orange and tangerine also work.

The important thing is that, every two hours, you must drink some liquid. Remember this!

2 Alert for family members: constantly offer fluids to people over 50. At the same time, observe them.

If you realize that they are rejecting liquids and, from one day to the next, they are irritable, breathless or display a lack of attention, these are almost certainly recurrent symptoms of dehydration.



| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 16:44:10   #
EasternOZ Loc: Kansas City Metro
 
Ronniejw wrote:
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls a hotline to report flooding.

“Help me!” the kid exclaims. “I’m standing in two feet of water!”

“Now stay calm,” the person answering the hotline replies. “Two feet of water does not constitute a flood emergency around here.”

“It does around here!” says the kid. “I’m calling from the fourth floor!”




If you have reached the 50 year hill this piece was written just for you....



Causes of MENTAL CONFUSION IN THE THIRD AGE

By Arnaldo Liechtenstein, physician.

Whenever I teach clinical medicine to students in the fourth year of medicine, I ask the following question:

What are the causes of mental confusion in the elderly?

Some offer: "Tumours in the head". I answer: No!

Others suggest: "Early symptoms of Alzheimer's". I answer again: No!

With each rejection of their answers, their responses dry up.

And they are even more open-mouthed when I list the three most common causes:

- uncontrolled diabetes

- urinary infection

- dehydration.

It may sound like a joke, but it isn't. People over 50 constantly stop feeling thirsty and consequently stop drinking fluids.

When no one is around to remind them to drink fluids, they quickly dehydrate. Dehydration is severe and affects the entire body. It may cause abrupt mental confusion, a drop in blood pressure, increased heart palpitations, angina (chest pain), coma and even death.

This forgetting to drink fluids begins at age 50, when we have just over 50% of the water we should have in our bodies. People over 50 have a lower water reserve. This is part of the natural aging process.

But there are more complications. Although they are dehydrated, they don't feel like drinking water, because their internal balance mechanisms don't work very well.

Conclusion

People over 50 years old dehydrate easily, not only because they have a smaller water supply, but also because they do not feel the lack of water in the body.

Although people over 50 may look healthy, the performance of reactions and chemical functions can damage their entire body.

So here are two alerts

1 *Get into the habit of drinking liquids*. Liquids include water, juices, teas, coconut water, milk, soups,and water-rich fruits, such as watermelon, melon, peaches and pineapple. Orange and tangerine also work.

The important thing is that, every two hours, you must drink some liquid. Remember this!

2 Alert for family members: constantly offer fluids to people over 50. At the same time, observe them.

If you realize that they are rejecting liquids and, from one day to the next, they are irritable, breathless or display a lack of attention, these are almost certainly recurrent symptoms of dehydration.
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls... (show quote)



| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 17:17:40   #
flyguy Loc: So. Padre Island, TX. 1 & 2, & S.E. MN. 3-12
 
Ronniejw wrote:
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls a hotline to report flooding.

“Help me!” the kid exclaims. “I’m standing in two feet of water!”

“Now stay calm,” the person answering the hotline replies. “Two feet of water does not constitute a flood emergency around here.”

“It does around here!” says the kid. “I’m calling from the fourth floor!”




If you have reached the 50 year hill this piece was written just for you....



Causes of MENTAL CONFUSION IN THE THIRD AGE

By Arnaldo Liechtenstein, physician.

Whenever I teach clinical medicine to students in the fourth year of medicine, I ask the following question:

What are the causes of mental confusion in the elderly?

Some offer: "Tumours in the head". I answer: No!

Others suggest: "Early symptoms of Alzheimer's". I answer again: No!

With each rejection of their answers, their responses dry up.

And they are even more open-mouthed when I list the three most common causes:

- uncontrolled diabetes

- urinary infection

- dehydration.

It may sound like a joke, but it isn't. People over 50 constantly stop feeling thirsty and consequently stop drinking fluids.

When no one is around to remind them to drink fluids, they quickly dehydrate. Dehydration is severe and affects the entire body. It may cause abrupt mental confusion, a drop in blood pressure, increased heart palpitations, angina (chest pain), coma and even death.

This forgetting to drink fluids begins at age 50, when we have just over 50% of the water we should have in our bodies. People over 50 have a lower water reserve. This is part of the natural aging process.

But there are more complications. Although they are dehydrated, they don't feel like drinking water, because their internal balance mechanisms don't work very well.

Conclusion

People over 50 years old dehydrate easily, not only because they have a smaller water supply, but also because they do not feel the lack of water in the body.

Although people over 50 may look healthy, the performance of reactions and chemical functions can damage their entire body.

So here are two alerts

1 *Get into the habit of drinking liquids*. Liquids include water, juices, teas, coconut water, milk, soups,and water-rich fruits, such as watermelon, melon, peaches and pineapple. Orange and tangerine also work.

The important thing is that, every two hours, you must drink some liquid. Remember this!

2 Alert for family members: constantly offer fluids to people over 50. At the same time, observe them.

If you realize that they are rejecting liquids and, from one day to the next, they are irritable, breathless or display a lack of attention, these are almost certainly recurrent symptoms of dehydration.
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls... (show quote)


Thanks, Ronnie, I needed that. Beer doesn't count!

| Reply
 
 
Feb 21, 2021 17:58:39   #
FourchonLa. Loc: Fourchon Louisiana, South Louisiana
 
Ronniejw wrote:
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls a hotline to report flooding.

“Help me!” the kid exclaims. “I’m standing in two feet of water!”

“Now stay calm,” the person answering the hotline replies. “Two feet of water does not constitute a flood emergency around here.”

“It does around here!” says the kid. “I’m calling from the fourth floor!”




If you have reached the 50 year hill this piece was written just for you....



Causes of MENTAL CONFUSION IN THE THIRD AGE

By Arnaldo Liechtenstein, physician.

Whenever I teach clinical medicine to students in the fourth year of medicine, I ask the following question:

What are the causes of mental confusion in the elderly?

Some offer: "Tumours in the head". I answer: No!

Others suggest: "Early symptoms of Alzheimer's". I answer again: No!

With each rejection of their answers, their responses dry up.

And they are even more open-mouthed when I list the three most common causes:

- uncontrolled diabetes

- urinary infection

- dehydration.

It may sound like a joke, but it isn't. People over 50 constantly stop feeling thirsty and consequently stop drinking fluids.

When no one is around to remind them to drink fluids, they quickly dehydrate. Dehydration is severe and affects the entire body. It may cause abrupt mental confusion, a drop in blood pressure, increased heart palpitations, angina (chest pain), coma and even death.

This forgetting to drink fluids begins at age 50, when we have just over 50% of the water we should have in our bodies. People over 50 have a lower water reserve. This is part of the natural aging process.

But there are more complications. Although they are dehydrated, they don't feel like drinking water, because their internal balance mechanisms don't work very well.

Conclusion

People over 50 years old dehydrate easily, not only because they have a smaller water supply, but also because they do not feel the lack of water in the body.

Although people over 50 may look healthy, the performance of reactions and chemical functions can damage their entire body.

So here are two alerts

1 *Get into the habit of drinking liquids*. Liquids include water, juices, teas, coconut water, milk, soups,and water-rich fruits, such as watermelon, melon, peaches and pineapple. Orange and tangerine also work.

The important thing is that, every two hours, you must drink some liquid. Remember this!

2 Alert for family members: constantly offer fluids to people over 50. At the same time, observe them.

If you realize that they are rejecting liquids and, from one day to the next, they are irritable, breathless or display a lack of attention, these are almost certainly recurrent symptoms of dehydration.
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls... (show quote)


Going to get a bottle of water right now. My father was a doctor and always had a glass of water nearby. I just thought he was always thirsty. Now I know the rest of the story. 👍👍👍

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 18:26:00   #
Graveytrain50 Loc: Dallas Texas
 
Ronniejw wrote:
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls a hotline to report flooding.

“Help me!” the kid exclaims. “I’m standing in two feet of water!”

“Now stay calm,” the person answering the hotline replies. “Two feet of water does not constitute a flood emergency around here.”

“It does around here!” says the kid. “I’m calling from the fourth floor!”




If you have reached the 50 year hill this piece was written just for you....



Causes of MENTAL CONFUSION IN THE THIRD AGE

By Arnaldo Liechtenstein, physician.

Whenever I teach clinical medicine to students in the fourth year of medicine, I ask the following question:

What are the causes of mental confusion in the elderly?

Some offer: "Tumours in the head". I answer: No!

Others suggest: "Early symptoms of Alzheimer's". I answer again: No!

With each rejection of their answers, their responses dry up.

And they are even more open-mouthed when I list the three most common causes:

- uncontrolled diabetes

- urinary infection

- dehydration.

It may sound like a joke, but it isn't. People over 50 constantly stop feeling thirsty and consequently stop drinking fluids.

When no one is around to remind them to drink fluids, they quickly dehydrate. Dehydration is severe and affects the entire body. It may cause abrupt mental confusion, a drop in blood pressure, increased heart palpitations, angina (chest pain), coma and even death.

This forgetting to drink fluids begins at age 50, when we have just over 50% of the water we should have in our bodies. People over 50 have a lower water reserve. This is part of the natural aging process.

But there are more complications. Although they are dehydrated, they don't feel like drinking water, because their internal balance mechanisms don't work very well.

Conclusion

People over 50 years old dehydrate easily, not only because they have a smaller water supply, but also because they do not feel the lack of water in the body.

Although people over 50 may look healthy, the performance of reactions and chemical functions can damage their entire body.

So here are two alerts

1 *Get into the habit of drinking liquids*. Liquids include water, juices, teas, coconut water, milk, soups,and water-rich fruits, such as watermelon, melon, peaches and pineapple. Orange and tangerine also work.

The important thing is that, every two hours, you must drink some liquid. Remember this!

2 Alert for family members: constantly offer fluids to people over 50. At the same time, observe them.

If you realize that they are rejecting liquids and, from one day to the next, they are irritable, breathless or display a lack of attention, these are almost certainly recurrent symptoms of dehydration.
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls... (show quote)



| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 18:30:09   #
Graveytrain50 Loc: Dallas Texas
 

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 19:11:55   #
saw1 Loc: nor cal Windsor
 
flyguy wrote:
Thanks, Ronnie, I needed that. Beer doesn't count!


And just WHY do you say BEER doesn't count?
Just exactly what do you suppose beer is made from? It's just flavored/seasoned WATER.

| Reply
 
 
Feb 21, 2021 19:51:52   #
Huntm22 Loc: Northern Utah. - West Haven
 
Thanks for the heads up - I will do much better in the future. Wife is always drinking water but I sure don’t anymore. Used to drink 4-6 bottles a day now that I think back. I am changing my ways! Thanks!

| Reply
Feb 21, 2021 21:37:42   #
OJdidit Loc: Oak Creek Wisconsin
 
Ronniejw wrote:
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls a hotline to report flooding.

“Help me!” the kid exclaims. “I’m standing in two feet of water!”

“Now stay calm,” the person answering the hotline replies. “Two feet of water does not constitute a flood emergency around here.”

“It does around here!” says the kid. “I’m calling from the fourth floor!”




If you have reached the 50 year hill this piece was written just for you....



Causes of MENTAL CONFUSION IN THE THIRD AGE

By Arnaldo Liechtenstein, physician.

Whenever I teach clinical medicine to students in the fourth year of medicine, I ask the following question:

What are the causes of mental confusion in the elderly?

Some offer: "Tumours in the head". I answer: No!

Others suggest: "Early symptoms of Alzheimer's". I answer again: No!

With each rejection of their answers, their responses dry up.

And they are even more open-mouthed when I list the three most common causes:

- uncontrolled diabetes

- urinary infection

- dehydration.

It may sound like a joke, but it isn't. People over 50 constantly stop feeling thirsty and consequently stop drinking fluids.

When no one is around to remind them to drink fluids, they quickly dehydrate. Dehydration is severe and affects the entire body. It may cause abrupt mental confusion, a drop in blood pressure, increased heart palpitations, angina (chest pain), coma and even death.

This forgetting to drink fluids begins at age 50, when we have just over 50% of the water we should have in our bodies. People over 50 have a lower water reserve. This is part of the natural aging process.

But there are more complications. Although they are dehydrated, they don't feel like drinking water, because their internal balance mechanisms don't work very well.

Conclusion

People over 50 years old dehydrate easily, not only because they have a smaller water supply, but also because they do not feel the lack of water in the body.

Although people over 50 may look healthy, the performance of reactions and chemical functions can damage their entire body.

So here are two alerts

1 *Get into the habit of drinking liquids*. Liquids include water, juices, teas, coconut water, milk, soups,and water-rich fruits, such as watermelon, melon, peaches and pineapple. Orange and tangerine also work.

The important thing is that, every two hours, you must drink some liquid. Remember this!

2 Alert for family members: constantly offer fluids to people over 50. At the same time, observe them.

If you realize that they are rejecting liquids and, from one day to the next, they are irritable, breathless or display a lack of attention, these are almost certainly recurrent symptoms of dehydration.
In the worst rainstorm of the century, a kid calls... (show quote)


Great post, thanks. I am guilty of not drinking enough water, for sure.

| Reply
Feb 22, 2021 08:57:33   #
Flytier Loc: Wilmington Delaware
 
saw1 wrote:
And just WHY do you say BEER doesn't count?
Just exactly what do you suppose beer is made from? It's just flavored/seasoned WATER.


Because alcohol actually causes you to lose mire body fluids. Why do you think you pee so much when you drink beer. It's an example of drinking causing dehydration. Stupid part of this is I know all this and I'm still a major offender.

By the way, you should probably repost this again by itself. Sincd it was between 2 jokes, I was looking for the punch line.😄😄

| Reply
Feb 22, 2021 08:59:11   #
Graywulff Loc: Cortez,Co.
 
OJdidit wrote:
Great post, thanks. I am guilty of not drinking enough water, for sure.
Me too OJ



| Reply
 
 
Feb 22, 2021 09:00:13   #
EasternOZ Loc: Kansas City Metro
 
Graywulff wrote:
Me too OJ


LOL

| Reply
Feb 22, 2021 12:34:09   #
Big A Loc: Gilbert, Arizona
 
flyguy wrote:
Thanks, Ronnie, I needed that. Beer doesn't count!


WHAT ??? How/why
would beer not count ?
1- It's a fluid !
2- It quenches your thirst !
3- It hydrates !

| Reply
Feb 22, 2021 12:45:06   #
saw1 Loc: nor cal Windsor
 
Big A wrote:
WHAT ??? How/why
would beer not count ?
1- It's a fluid !
2- It quenches your thirst !
3- It hydrates !


I agree. No matter what I drink , I gotta pee. So I think beer counts for hydration.

| Reply
Feb 22, 2021 18:20:44   #
USAF Major Loc: Sea Bright, NJ
 
My physician told me that beer counts towards the minimum 64 ounces he wants me to take in.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.