Fishing Stage - Fishing Forum
Which brand of fish finder & why?
Page: 1 2 next>>
Jan 12, 2021 09:07:51   #
Stan1295 Loc: Southeastern CT
 
Hi everyone! In anticipation of fishing season (can’t wait), I’m trying to decide on which 5-7” fish finder to buy. I mainly troll for trout, but also fish for crappie, in small lakes. My budget: $600. Brands being considered: Lowrance, Garmin, Hummingbird. Thanks in advance for your help!

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 10:26:12   #
Gordon Loc: Charleston South Carolina
 
I have a Lowrance on one boat and a Garmin on the other. Like them both. But mine also have GPS on them.

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 10:54:40   #
Ben Bragg Loc: Dayton Ohio
 
I’m a Garmin guy
All the brands you list are fine units.
I use the mapping feature a lot for marking waypoints, as well as side imaging for finding and marking waypoints on rock piles, weed beds etc

The down imaging feature is handy if you really want to evaluate a piece of cover or structure.

| Reply
 
 
Jan 12, 2021 11:32:41   #
Greereng1 Loc: Northeast ohio
 
I just got a garmin striker pro with lots of good features just haven't got to use it yet but from what I see it will be a good model

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 11:36:41   #
Catfish hunter Loc: Riggins idaho
 
Stan1295 wrote:
Hi everyone! In anticipation of fishing season (can’t wait), I’m trying to decide on which 5-7” fish finder to buy. I mainly troll for trout, but also fish for crappie, in small lakes. My budget: $600. Brands being considered: Lowrance, Garmin, Hummingbird. Thanks in advance for your help!


I swear by my humminbirds. Clear, precise and pretty honest.

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 13:09:56   #
Egghead Loc: Rock Springs Wyoming
 
I have lowrance units. Always have been good and easy to use. I'm looking for a new ice machine now. I saw a guys Garmin panoptix live sight out fishing the other day.🤔 I wasn't reel impressed. It was hard to see the jigs. And the fish didn't look anything like the YouTube videos I watched. I'm leaning towards the Hummingbird helix 7" . May get the panoptix later when they get better.

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 18:02:38   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
I've been a Lowrance guy for 38years now. Lowrance, Eagle, and Hook. Currently using a Hook²9 Triple Shot with a Navionics Hot Maps chip.

| Reply
 
 
Jan 12, 2021 19:37:15   #
Egghead Loc: Rock Springs Wyoming
 
Fredfish wrote:
I've been a Lowrance guy for 38years now. Lowrance, Eagle, and Hook. Currently using a Hook²9 Triple Shot with a Navionics Hot Maps chip.


How would this machine be for ice fishing Fred, but in a 7. The 9 would eat the battery to fast

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 20:20:21   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
Egghead wrote:
How would this machine be for ice fishing Fred, but in a 7. The 9 would eat the battery to fast


I think you would like it Egg, they've got lots of features and a nice screen. They have an Ice fishing mode,like a flasher I believe. You can go to the website and download the operators manual, and see how the features work.I've never used mine in water deeper than about 85ft, we ain't got no Gorge here.LOL

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 21:13:38   #
Egghead Loc: Rock Springs Wyoming
 
A buddy if mine has a hook 2 7" but not the tripple shot, I will have to read up on that. He's used it one the ice in 115 feet of water. I'm going to use his this weekend and see how it is. I'm either going to get that or the hummingbird helix 7. Not sure yet. There both nice machines.

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 21:29:05   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
Egghead wrote:
A buddy if mine has a hook 2 7" but not the tripple shot, I will have to read up on that. He's used it one the ice in 115 feet of water. I'm going to use his this weekend and see how it is. I'm either going to get that or the hummingbird helix 7. Not sure yet. There both nice machines.


I don't think you really need the Sidescan if you're fishing deep water. You're looking for suspended fish right? The Sidescan shows you a cool view of the bottom, rocks, trees, creekbeds, and fish around the structure, but only works well when you're moving.

| Reply
 
 
Jan 12, 2021 22:06:14   #
Egghead Loc: Rock Springs Wyoming
 
Fredfish wrote:
I don't think you really need the Sidescan if you're fishing deep water. You're looking for suspended fish right? The Sidescan shows you a cool view of the bottom, rocks, trees, creekbeds, and fish around the structure, but only works well when you're moving.


No I don't need that. Would the hook 2 be good enough ???

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 22:24:52   #
Fredfish Loc: Prospect CT.
 
Egghead wrote:
No I don't need that. Would the hook 2 be good enough ???


Yeah Egg, the model you want is called "SplitShot" that gives you Chirp sonar, Downscan with Fish reveal, and whichever type of Navigation you want.

| Reply
Jan 12, 2021 23:20:19   #
Egghead Loc: Rock Springs Wyoming
 
Fredfish wrote:
Yeah Egg, the model you want is called "SplitShot" that gives you Chirp sonar, Downscan with Fish reveal, and whichever type of Navigation you want.


Thanks Fred.

| Reply
Jan 13, 2021 09:08:32   #
Stan1295 Loc: Southeastern CT
 
Thanks to everyone. It appears I’m on the right track.

| Reply
Page: 1 2 next>>
If you want to reply, then register here. Registration is free and your account is created instantly, so you can post right away.
FishingStage.com - Forum
Copyright 2018-2021 IDF International Technologies, Inc.